Minneapolis Workers' Compensation FAQ

The workers' compensation process is extremely complicated and confusing. Many injured workers understandably have a number of questions about the process. We hope our workers' compensation FAQ will answer some. If you don't see your question answered, contact us directly. Some of the most common questions include:

Am I going to lose my job for applying for benefits?

No. It is illegal to fire an injured worker for filing a workers' compensation claim.

Can I pick my own doctor to evaluate my injuries?

Yes. While it is necessary to comply with the independent medical examiner of your employer's choosing, you can also seek out other opinions from other medical professionals.

Can I receive compensation for repetitive stress injuries or injuries involving pre-existing conditions?

Generally speaking, yes. Conditions that are exacerbated due to work are often just as compensable as those sustained wholly on the job.

Are only physical injuries compensable under workers' compensation?

No. Due to recent legislative changes, psychological injuries, including post-traumatic stress disorder, are compensable within the workers' comp process.

What is a QRC?

According to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, "Rehabilitation services are provided by experienced rehabilitation counselors approved by the department as qualified rehabilitation consultants or QRCs. A QRC conducts the rehabilitation consultation, writes the rehabilitation plan, provides rehabilitation services and guides the delivery of rehabilitation services by others."

The QRC is hired to help you get back to work. Cooperating with the QRC is very important, as failure to do so may result in the insurance company being able to stop paying benefits.

How much does it cost to hire a workers' compensation lawyer?

Workers' compensation attorneys generally work on contingency and only collect fees if they obtain the benefits you deserve.

What should I do if my workers' compensation claim was denied or I am told that my benefits are going to be cut off?

While it is highly advisable to work with a workers' comp lawyer at any point in the process, if your claim is denied or you are told your benefits are going to stop, speaking with a lawyer is critical. Having focused solely on workers' compensation issues for years, we at Thill and Freeman, PLLC, will aggressively work to protect your rights and maximize your benefits/compensation. We encourage you to get in touch as soon as possible.

Contact Our Workers' Comp Lawyer Today!

To schedule a free initial consultation to discuss questions about workers' compensation in Minneapolis or the West Metro, call 952-512-7512 or use our online form.